The Spartan Diet
by Callum B. Downes
I’ve put together a quick guide to the food and beverage choices within my “Spartan Diet”, along with my typical daily meal plan and a few healthy recipes. Hopefully this will inspire you to make healthy choices next time you’re at the supermarket.
Next week’s posts will be all about how to stick by your diet through thick and thin, so to speak…
The Spartan Diet is based on four simple concepts
- High protein intake: If you want that warrior physique you’ll need to the proteins to rebuild those muscle fibres after a big session in the gym.
- High vitamin & mineral intake: Make the most of that protein and unlock endless amounts of energy with fruit and veggies.
- Low carbohydrate intake: Unnecessary carbs will be stored as fat if not utilised during physical activity. Complex carbs like brown rice, whole grains and muesli are okay in small amounts because they burn slowly and therefore keep you feeling fuller for longer. Avoid simple carbs like sugar at all costs!
- Low Saturated Fat intake: Although some fat intake is beneficial, consuming too much unsaturated fat will definitely add up to a few extra pounds.
The Shopping List
- Fruit & Nut Muesli
- Low Fat Cheese
- Whole Milk
- Turkey Breast
- Chicken Breast
- Wholemeal Bread
- Peanut Butter
- Tomatoes & Lettuce
- Mixed Nuts
- Mixed Herbs & Spices
- Red Meat
- Brown Rice
- Rice cakes
The Daily Plan
4 egg ham & cheese omelette +
fruit & nut muesli with milk and banana topping
Carrot or celery sticks dipped in peanut butter +
Chicken, capsicum, beans & broccoli, fried with garlic & onion, served with brown rice
Handful of mixed nuts +
2 peanut butter rice cakes +
Whey protein shake after training
Steak served with beans, carrot, broccoli and spinach
Recipe of the Week: High Protein Potato Tortilla
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 200g speck, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (about 600g) desiree potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 30cm (base measurement) frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the speck, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the potato and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Preheat grill on high. Place eggs in a bowl and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle potato with onion mixture. Pour egg over the potato mixture, shaking gently to loosen from the base of the pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until the base of the tortilla is golden and set.
Place tortilla under preheated grill, about 6cm from heat source, and cook for 5 minutes or until golden and set.
Use a round-bladed knife to loosen edges of tortilla. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Cut into wedges to serve.